Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Task 5 Experiences at Manpower's SL & CNN iReport


I went to CNN ireport, and I was very disappointed, there was no one to help me and be there if I had any questions. Also there was no one at all, no one seem to be around. The only thing I got out of this experience to sit in the chair at the CNN ireport, and scale around to look at my face for once. I feel like I am running around places just looking at the back of my little avatar's head.

This is my conversation with Belize Decosta who is a staff member here at Manpower SL. I was able to go into Manpower SL island and look around, but also get to know the reason why Manpower is here. This was very interesting to me, as I do work at a staffing agency. I could relate to a lot to Manpowers SL and what it has to offer.

I did have some problems, I did get trapped in Manpower and the only way out was teleporting back to Manpower.
I felt a little panic, during this whole time, but I was able to relax and tell myself this isn't real I am in my home in Waukesha on the computer. It will be ok. Here is the a picture of me in second life, trying to find my way out of Manpower's trapped building.


I found out that Manpower is basically one of the 1st recruting/staffing agencies that has created a virtual world. In the near future, Manpower is going to be implementing a job board for Manpower SL and for us second life users who can come in and actually seek work. This is pretty remarkable, we can work from home and earn a income. We do not have to paint ourselves pretty, and hate being at a desk all day will be a thing of the past. We can at least have an options here. Well I hope you all will enjoy my conversation, and know that it is good to talk to a spokes/staff member of the SL island you are on. It can be extremely helpful!

[17:55] Belize Decosta: Mel
[17:55] Belize Decosta: Is there something I can help you out with ??
[17:55] You: Well I am just very interested in what Manpower offers here at 2nd life, could you show me around?
[17:56] Belize Decosta: you mean what is on the island or what Manpower is doing here in general?
[17:56] You: both
[17:57] Belize Decosta: well, you are very much encouraged to check out the island all you like, I have to be here to greet new arrivals
[17:57] You: I c
[17:57] Belize Decosta: but in regards to what Manpower is doing in Second life
[17:58] Belize Decosta: Manpower is in Second Life to gain experience in virtual worlds, connect with the SL community, discover and discuss the world of virtual work and assist new individuals with getting comfortable in SL. We will offer information on how to locate work in SL and in RL if asked.
[17:58] Belize Decosta: We are working to expand our services for the individuals here in Second Life for the near future
[17:58] Belize Decosta: by possibly being able to place SL individuals with SL work
[17:58] Belize Decosta: that phase of our operations is currently being worked on
[17:59] Belize Decosta: Is there anything in particular you would like to know about ??
[18:00] Belize Decosta: or rather learn about ??
[18:00] You: Well I am interested in work in SL, what do I need to do?
[18:00] Belize Decosta: what kind of work are you interested in ??
[18:01] Belize Decosta: or just information about working in SL in general ?
[18:02] You: I am a Graphic Designer, and I just wanted to seek out other opportunities in design, marketing, and possibly all of these in SL
[18:03] Belize Decosta: well we have general information about work in SL in our lobby. The information tells individuals about how to find work in SL, how to act , how to dress, etc
[18:03] Belize Decosta: I can show you if you like ?
[18:03] You: yes that would be great
[18:03] Belize Decosta: ok follow me then
[18:04] Belize Decosta: on theses computers you will find information about working in SL
[18:04] Belize Decosta: each computer has a different notecard with different information on them
[18:04] Belize Decosta: so be sure to check out all the computers
[18:05] Belize Decosta: I would also like to encourage you to join our Manpower News Group
[18:05] Belize Decosta: if you do we can send you information , electronically,about what we are doing in SL, like updates on the island, special events, and possible job opportunites
[18:05] Belize Decosta: If you are interested in joining our News Group, just click once on the poster to the right of the computers.
[18:06] Object owned by Noxa Ahn gave you 'Manpower - How to find Work in Second Life' ( http://slurl.com/secondlife/Manpower%20HQ/61/143/26 ).
[18:06] Belize Decosta: I hope all this information helps you out,I have to step outside to greet new arrivals to our island, feel free to explore the island and if you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask me I will be right outside :)
[18:07] You: Thank you so much.
[18:07] Belize Decosta: your very welcome
[18:07] Belize Decosta: :)
[18:08] You decline 'Manpower - How to find Work in Second Life' ( http://slurl.com/secondlife/Manpower%20HQ/61/143/26 ) from Object.
[18:22] Object owned by Noxa Ahn gave you 'Manpower - How to find Work in Second Life' ( http://slurl.com/secondlife/Manpower%20HQ/61/143/26 ).
[18:33] You: Hi
[18:33] Belize Decosta: Hello again
[18:33] Belize Decosta: find everything alright ?
[18:34] You: no, I thought I was doing everything right, it said to teleport to another manpower SL and I would learn more info about jobs here at SL
[18:34] You: and I got stuck, and I had to teleport out of there and back here.
[18:35] Belize Decosta: I am sorry, what told you to teleport to another Manpower SL ??
[18:35] Belize Decosta: we only have one island in SL
[18:35] Belize Decosta: so that may be a mistake
[18:37] You: Well i was in that building, but in the rooms where there was no doors. i was in the building right behind you, some how when i sat at the computers, I clicked on one of the laptops and I got telported to the room inside the building, but there wasn't anything
[18:37] Belize Decosta: hmm
[18:37] Belize Decosta: not sure what that was all about
[18:38] Belize Decosta: other than that, did you find the information helpful?
[18:38] You: not really
[18:38] Belize Decosta: lol
[18:38] Belize Decosta: sorry
[18:38] Belize Decosta: is there something specific you are looking to find out
[18:38] Belize Decosta: ?
[18:39] You: I just want to maybe find out how I can work in SL, maybe a job with real money...isn't that what Manpower does, try to find jobs?
[18:39] Belize Decosta: yes
[18:39] Belize Decosta: we are working on that for the near future
[18:40] Belize Decosta: but for the time being, the information we have on thoses computers should be able to answer most of thoses questions
[18:40] Belize Decosta: most individuals are trying to find out what they want to do
[18:40] Belize Decosta: which is what thoses notecards help out with
[18:40] Belize Decosta: but
[18:40] Belize Decosta: thoses that already know what they want to do, such as yourself
[18:40] Belize Decosta: they may not be as much of assistance
[18:41] Belize Decosta: I believe what you are looking for is a place that will GET you a job
[18:41] Belize Decosta: actually place you with employment in something
[18:41] Belize Decosta: in SL that is
[18:41] Belize Decosta: right now, we cannot do that
[18:41] Belize Decosta: as we are working on that for the very near future
[18:42] You: near future...is that one month, two weeks or a year?
[18:42] Belize Decosta: I am not sure
[18:42] Belize Decosta: hopefully within a month or so, but do not quote me on that ;)
[18:42] Belize Decosta: Did you join our News Group?
[18:43] Belize Decosta: if you did/do we can send you updates, electronically, on our efforts
[18:43] You: I tried, but I do not know if I did
[18:43] You: how does that go again
[18:43] Belize Decosta: if it thanked you for your submission to the News Group
[18:43] Belize Decosta: it will come through within a day or so

No comments: